QIBA for Statisticians
QIBA Mission: Improve the value and practicality of quantitative imaging biomarkers by reducing variability across devices, sites, patients, and time.
QIBA develops Profile documents that standardize methods for creating a specific biomarker with predictable performance (accuracy and reproducibility).
Statisticians benefit from QIBA by:
- understanding the role of technical performance characteristics (repeatability, reproducibility, bias, linearity) in the study design and analysis of clinical trials with quantitative imaging biomarkers (QIBs)
- understanding the role of technical performance characteristics in quantifying change in individual patients
- (being provided with good estimates of the technical performance of QIBs obtained using a given QIBA Profile)
Statisticians participate in QIBA Profiles by:
- supporting testing of actors’ conformance with requirements in a given QIBA Profile
Statisticians may also:
- optimize study design in clinical trials with QIBs
- determine sample size calculations for clinical trials using QIBs
- provide unbiased estimates of treatment effects when QIBs are endpoints